If you want to know the best ways to market your products and services online, these are the best internet marketing strategies to boost your sales and profits.
You’ll see that there are quite a few options and many layers to each option. Don’t worry. Most beginning online marketers start by focusing on one method, perfect their marketing in that one area, and then branch out to a new method.
Review the internet marketing strategies below to see which fit your current business model.
Here are the best internet marketing strategies for 2020:
- Content Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Paid Advertising
- Social Media Marketing
- Influencer Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Partner & Affiliate Programs
Overview: Best Internet Marketing Strategies in 2020
1. Content Marketing
Connecting through content marketing is one of the key ways entrepreneurs, small business owners, and even large corporations market on the internet.
Content marketing is producing and publishing content (text, video, audio) that appeals to your target market. While most content is not intended to make a sale, it is intended to create a bond between the consumer and the individual, business, or brand that will ultimately lead to a sale.
For example, a cosmetics company may produce and publish lots of makeup tutorial videos on YouTube – with the goal of creating product awareness and brand loyalty. The videos don’t specifically sell the cosmetics, but they do create a desire in the loyal viewer to get the same products they see in the videos.
Content marketing includes (but isn’t limited to):
- Vlogging (Video production on platforms like YouTube)
- How to Make Money Blogging
- Guest Posting
- Content Syndication
- Free Classes and Webinars
- Ebook Publishing
2. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Search engine optimization (commonly called SEO) simply means that you’re creating your blog or website content in such a way that the search engines rank it higher in searches so you get more organic traffic.
Google traffic is incredibly valuable. You have the potential to get a new prospects the exact moment they’re looking for a solution to a problem or ready to buy a product. Organic traffic, which is free, is
As you can imagine, the competition for organic search traffic is incredibly high. Getting listed on page 1 of any search engine for high-quality keywords is a game that changes daily – and some companies spend a lot of time to win.
Related Post: 21 Ways to Get Proven Internet Traffic
While the how-to can be complicated, there are two basic things to know about how to use this strategy.
- On-Page SEO: On-page SEO is the optimization you do of the keywords, graphics, and html of your own blog and site in order to get the best ranking in the search engines. Plugins like Yoast can help guide you through how to optimize your on-site content.
- Off-Page SEO: Off-page SEO is what you do off of your website in order to prove to the search engines that your site is a high value property with up-to-date information. This can improve your search engines ranks. One method of off-page SEO is building backlinks from high-traffic, well-ranked websites.
3. Paid Advertising
The easiest way to promote your offers is to pay to advertise them on platforms that have the traffic. While it’s simple to run ads, it’s not free (or often cheap), so it’s important to know your budget before diving too deep into the paid advertising pool.
Paid advertising can be incredibly powerful if you have a high-converting offer and advertising that works. When you know you’ll make $2 back for every $1 you spend in advertising, you can scale up your marketing quickly.
Finding a mentor or coach (or a good course) on running paid ads, then testing and learning on a small budget, can be a solid way to ramp up your paid advertising into a solid marketing channel for your business.
Paid Advertising platforms and channels include:
- Google Adwords
- Facebook Advertising
- YouTube Advertising
- LinkedIn Advertising
- Pinterest Advertising
- Sponsored Ads in Blogs, Podcasts, Email Newsletters
4. Social Media Marketing
Use platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and others to promote your products and services.
This type of marketing is really a combination of content marketing and influencer marketing. Social media marketers product content on that high-traffic platforms in order to build up a follow of their most likely buyers.
Once a group of followers has been built up, the company can directly promote their products and services to their followers or indirectly promote through recommendations.
Pro’s of SMM:
- There’s no cost to set up an account and grow your following
- You can immediately get exposed to large audiences
- Done correctly, you can create close relationships with followers
- You can create brand loyalty
- You can track engagement through your platform’s account
Con’s of Social Media Marketing:
- It can be time-consuming to produce content daily
- Beware of account hacking and security breaches
- Mistakes or misunderstandings on social media can blow up quickly and harm your business
- The value to your business can often be difficult to measure
5. Influencer Marketing
If you’ve ever gone to see a movie on the recommendation of a friend, then you’ve been involved in influencer marketing. Currently, this is one of the more powerful internet marketing strategies.
Influencer marketing is simply indirect marketing done by someone online that has a following. A common example of this would be Instagram influencers who have millions of followers. Their followers are so loyal that when they recommend a product or service, many of their followers immediately purchase the product.
Influencers who build a following can either promote and profit from their own products or offer to promote other company’s products for a fee. Depending on the size of the following, influencers can charge as little as $50 per post – all the way up to $50,000 to $100,000 or more.
MILLION DOLLAR POST: Entrepreneur and Media Mogul, Kylie Jenner, has over 170 million followers on Instragram. She makes up to $1 million and more for each sponsored posts on her Instagram channel. That’s the power of influencer marketing.
6. Email Marketing
Email marketing is powerful, because it’s a very direct 1-on-1 way of marketing. Your marketing message can show up inside the email inbox of your exact target market.
There are two main ways to do email marketing:
- Paid Advertising: You can pay companies with large email lists to either place your ad or link inside their own email newsletters – or even have a marketing email broadcast to their list. This is a powerful way to leverage the email list of others.
- Internal Advertising: Creating your own email list is the smartest thing you can do. You can easily build loyalty with your list and promote your products and services to them anytime you wish. If you’re not already building your own email list, then you need to start immediately. (check out the best emailing service below)
Recommended: Best Emailing Service
7. Partner & Affiliate Programs
With a partner or affiliate program, you pay other marketers (often known as affiliates) when they promote and make sales of your offers.
This can be a powerful internet marketing strategy, because you can have a team of thousands of highly-motivated, very effective marketers promote your offers. You only pay them a percentage of actual sales made through their coded affiliate links.
One of the largest companies in the world, Amazon, has a large affiliate program where they pay commissions on over a million products. Their affiliates simply promote the links Amazon gives them and they’re paid a percentage of all sales closed through their referral.
While setting up and running an affiliate program can take quite a bit of time and money, it can be a solid way to scale up your business if you have offers with proven track records.
The Best Internet Marketing Strategy for You.
The best internet marketing strategy for you is the one you’ll use consistently. Consistency is the key in marketing.
If you’re someone who love to create content and connect with people, content marketing, social media marketing, or influencer marketing may be the best for you.
If you prefer more direct methods, paid advertising, email marketing, and affiliate programs may be your best bet.
Whichever you select, remain consistent, find high-quality training or coaching, and be open to testing (and failing) a lot until you get good at it.
Frequently Asked Questions About Internet Marketing Strategies
Internet marketing is the term used to describe strategies used promote a company’s products and services online. For example, one Internet marketing strategy to promote your t-shirt business could be to share photos of customers wearing your shirts on your social media accounts.
There are two categories of Internet marketing strategies. There are free and paid strategies. Free marketing strategies include content marketing, blogging, podcasting, and guest posting. Paid marketing strategies include paid ads, pay-per-click marketing, and sponsored ads. There are many different types of marketing strategies for marketing your offers online.
While there is no one best strategy, there may be a best strategy for your type of business or business model. It’s important to do your research to see what kind of marketing your successful competition is doing to promote their own offers. There are many different effective Internet marketing strategies, but you want to make sure you’ve investing your time and money into the ones that will work best for your particular offers, business, and niche.