Can you really earn more than $1,000 a week working for Shipt? Yes! Shipt shoppers can make up to $22 per hour. But, do you know there are many shoppers who make $40+ an hour?
Here are 12 ways to make more money with Shipt…
- Presentation matters. Nobody likes to see a shopper in dirty clothes or uncombed hair at their doorstep. Make sure you put a little effort in keeping up with your appearance. If you don't have professional clothes, go to your nearest Thrift Store and look in the business attire section to upgrade your look.
- Be alert on incoming orders. If the new order is for the same store, you can complete both orders in just one visit. If you don’t pay attention to the new orders that are coming in, you will miss out on opportunities to double the earnings.
- Check Quantity & Promo Orders. Because you get paid more to shop at Target, your goal is to accept higher priced orders. Be careful of “promo” orders because too many times people testing out the service are non-tippers.
- Achieve goals and get a bonus. Shipt handed out $100 to shoppers that made 50-100 deliveries in March 2020 and $200 for those with 100+ deliveries in the same period. Set a goal to 3-4 per day to hit the 100 delivery mark.
- Manage time. Remember you are getting paid by the hour. Master your time management skills to deliver more orders per hour. Plan your route well. If you can double the delivery, you can double the earnings and tips as well. Bonus: Quicker service & professional communication make the customers happy and they will tip you more.
- Check traffic before you accept the order. If there is a traffic jam on the route, skip the order and look for another one on a different route. Traffic jams not only slow down your movement and the chance of earning more, but it also creates parking problems.
- Add another get paid to shop service? Take orders from multiple services like DoorDash and Postmates as well while you shop at the store. With just one trip to the store, you can earn 3 times more than usual.
- Avoid small orders. The Shipt payment system is based on a percentage of the order. Keep track of who tips and who doesn't. Don't take orders from non-tippers. Without tips, unless it's a large order, it might not be worth the time.
- Brand yourself. Working as an independent contractor should not stop you from creating your own brand for your service. I love when I get a drop-off, thank you card from a shopper who built a logo with Canva and is known as “Suzy the Mom Shopper” or “Chris the College Kid.” Make them feel special with your unique value-added services and care. This attitude gets you extra tips, higher ratings, and recommendations.
- Use Apartment Parking. Take advantage of the empty parking slots at the apartment complexes you deliver to. You’re not going to take forever to deliver and using the slot for 5 minutes or less should not create any trouble.
- Get Equipped. Many drivers miss orders due to failed smartphones and vehicles. Missing orders reduces the chance of high earnings. Charge your smartphone to its capacity before starting for work. Carry a power backup. Make sure your vehicle has enough gas in it. Always be prepared.
- Promote other services. Let's say you are specialized in plumbing or electrical work. Print business cards mentioning your services and distribute them to your customers while you deliver orders from Shipt. You can build a solid customer base for your additional skills.
If you want to read our full review on Shipt, click here.
Frequently Asked Questions About Shipt
Yes! We can see who tips and how much. Experienced Shipt shoppers create a spreadsheet of non-tippers and regularly blacklist non-tippers.
Shipt shoppers are independent contractors and are paid per order. You'll be offered orders, each with an estimated pay that is based on how long it takes to complete the order. Typically, it takes one hour to complete an order, and each order can pay on average up to $22 per order! Payment is received via direct deposit every Friday for the work completed the previous Monday through Sunday. You can apply to shop for Shipt here.
Shipt Shoppers set their own schedules according to their busy lives. They shop for and deliver groceries to Shipt's members within a requested time frame. Scheduling, accepting orders, and shopping orders are all done through the Shipt Shopper app. Also see Shipt review.
Shipt Shoppers purchase each order using a prepaid card provided by Shipt. This card will be funded with the amount of your order (plus a little more for unexpected extras) before your delivery window begins. When you go to check out, the money will already be on the card. New shoppers can expect to receive that card along with their first Shipt Shopper shirt in their shopper package.
You can! Shipt Shoppers choose the areas in which they are willing to deliver. You will receive offers for orders that are in that specific area, and can choose which of the orders you take as well!
There is no minimum (or maximum) requirement for the number of orders you have to take per week, per month, or per year. Shipt Shoppers are independent contractors. As such, they choose how many orders to take!
Shipt Shoppers choose how many orders they will shop. Shipt Shoppers select within the shopper app the days, times, and areas in which they are able to shop. This schedule can be set same-day or as early as a week in advance! Shoppers will receive offers for orders based on their scheduled availability.
Tips are not required but are greatly appreciated. Show your shopper some love and appreciation by tipping any amount of your choice. You may tip in cash or within the app after you receive your delivery and 100% of your tip will go to the shopper.
Nope! Shipt Shoppers cannot pick up orders from the pharmacy.
Shipt does not withhold any taxes from our shoppers' weekly paychecks. As independent contractors, Shipt Shoppers are responsible for filing their own taxes. Those who earn above a certain amount will receive a 1099 from Shipt at the end of the year.
From Shipt: We currently require our shoppers to be at least 18 years of age, have a reliable vehicle manufactured in 1997 or newer, have valid car insurance, and a valid U.S. driver's license.*
Shipt Shoppers must have an insulated cooler bag, a working knowledge of groceries, the ability to lift 40+ pounds, and an iPhone (iOS 10 or newer) or Android (5.1 or newer).
Payment for Shipt Shoppers is processed via direct deposit; all shoppers must have a bank account to accept deposits.
Click here to access the form to become a Shipt shopper.